Face and Jaw Surgery

After surgery

08/15/2005

Question:

I had my upper and lower jaw broken and repositioned. They tilted my top jaw forward and split my pallet to widen it. They also cut my chin and put it back into place and repositioned my sinus. My question is this...It has been four weeks since surgery(It was medical in nature) and my face looks awful...My lips are so thin now you can barely see the top one and I look as though I am angry. I went to a very reputable surgeon who keeps telling me I am still swolen. I loved the way my face looked before the surgery and I am so upset at the way I look now. How long until I can tell what my face will look like?

Answer:

Orthognathic surgery is done mostly to correct functional problems; however, it has a direct impact on facial appearance.  Difficulty with acceptance of postoperative appearance is a very well-known phenomenon, which has been previously reported in the literature.  Typically it takes anywhere between 8 to 12 weeks for things to look almost 100% of the way they are going to long-term. 

Don't get discouraged. By the sounds of it, you needed this done and that means that any condition for which you were treated is now taken care of.

Go to the Face and Jaw Surgery health topic, where you can:

Guillermo  E Chacon, DDS Guillermo E Chacon, DDS
Associate Professor of Dentistry