Small hanging skin under tongue

08/09/2005

Question:

Hi, I was moving my tongue around and at 2 points it almost felt like it got stuck in a position and i moved it till it felt like it got unstuck.Its a little hard to explain.But now i have a small piece of skin(upper tongue i guess) hanging down.Its about a quarter of an inch.It hurts a little but less than when it first happened.Any ideas what happened or what i should do? Thank you

Answer:

Part of the difficulty in providing a good answer to this question is understanding where exactly this small piece of skin is located on the tongue.  If it is truly on the upper tongue surface (also called the dorsal surface), where all the fine hairs and taste buds are located, then it might be a wart-like growth or just a flap of skin that has been partially torn.  If it is on the lower or under surface of the tongue (also called the ventral surface), it is possible that it is a fold of tissue normally found on the underside that may have been injured.  Another possibility in this area could be a damaged saliva or spit gland.

Although it does not sound serious, I would recommend that you see your dentist for a more definitive diagnosis and treatment if any is needed.

Good luck! 

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration