Obesity and Weight Management

My weight

08/25/2005

Question:

I am 17 years old, 5 ft 3" and 101.5 is that the right weight for me?

Answer:

When I get the question regarding what is an appropriate weight for an individual, I start by saying that I never tell people what they should weigh but rather by looking at it from a health standpoint. You should first look at your BMI (Body Mass Index). BMI looks at your weight in relationship to your height. Your measurements put you at a BMI of 18, which falls within the "Normal Weight" classification of 18.5-24.9. (For more information on BMI visit the Nation Heart, Lung and Blood Institute's web page at www.nhlbi.nih.gov). 

Beyond just weight, it's important to evaluate an overall health status. Do you eat a balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables and low in fat? Do you incorporate moderate physical activity on most days of the week? Do you get enough rest each night? Do you use nicotine or alcohol? Remember, being at a certain weight does not guarantee optimal health. If you need help with diet and exercise I would suggest checking out ChooseMyPlate.gov .  At this site you'll find information on the new pyramid and tools to help you develop an individual meal plan and a means of tracking your food and exercise. Hope this helps.

To Good Health!

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Angela Blackstone, RD, LD
Staff Dietitian
Center for Wellness and Prevention
Clinical Instructor
School of Allied Medical Professionals