Obesity and Weight Management

Excessive weight gain

08/19/2005

Question:

I am a 55 year old white female. A total vegitarian no dairy either, no white bread only fresh vegetables and fruit. green tea no sodas, and high fiber. I exercise and stay quite active. In the past 7 months I have gained 30 lbs and I have no idea what is happening. can you guide me in the right direction?

Answer:

I guess the first question I would ask is, how much of these foods are you eating? No matter which type of "diet" you are following, it is important to remember that calories count, and to pay attention to portion sizes. Taking in more calories than what is burnt through physical activity would result in a weight gain.

Next, I would probably ask what type of exercise you are doing. If you are doing a lot of weight bearing exercises and gaining muscle mass, you may see a weight gain, since muscle weighs more than fat.

I would recommend consulting with a registered dietitian in your area who can specifically assess your caloric needs and review your intakes to get a better idea of what is causing your weight gain. Good luck!!

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Jaime  Ackerman Foster, MPH, RD, LD Jaime Ackerman Foster, MPH, RD, LD
Formerly,
Extension Nutrition Associate
College of Education and Human Ecology