Gum Diseases

Gums turning white

08/22/2005

Question:

I recently had horrible pain with my gums. My lower gums are turning white and they feel really hot like it has fever in it. They have a bad tingling feeling in them.

Answer:

You are giving symptoms similar to necrotizing gingivitis/periodontitis.  It is bacterial.  It starts when the immune system is down. It may even be induced by stress. We generally see it in younger patients (up to 40 years of age). You are probably describing necrotizing gingiva with white color. It causes severe pain and tingling.  You should see a periodontist as soon as possible. If my diagnosis is right, they will give a cleaning first, and it will be superficial. They will prescribe an antibiotic if they think that the infection is affecting your lymph nodes and you are developing fever, fatigue etc.  They will continue to see you at least a couple of times within a month period. 

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology