Mollescum

09/07/2005

Question:

I have mollescum, myself, and it terrible. I wish this place would have ways to get rid of this rash. I have had it for six months. There are about 110 bumps on my face neck, and arms. I am only 13 and it is so ugly!

Answer:

The history that you give us assumes that you have an accurate diagnosis of an infection known as mollescum contagiosa.  This is a viral disease and it may persist for very long periods of time if untreated.  The fact that you have numerous lesions on your face, neck and arms suggests that as you pick at these lesions you subsequently touch other skin and place the virus in your skin, resulting in a new rash.  It is very unusual to have large numbers of these little growths at your age.  It suggests that there may be medical and even environmental reasons for your having persistence. 

An accurate diagnosis by a board certified dermatologist is in your best interest.  If in fact you do have an infection with the molluscum contasiosa virus there are a number of treatments that are available.  They vary from freezing a few of the lesions, chemical treatment, and more recently the use of an immune enhancing agent known by the trade name of Aldara.  This is a prescription item and is relatively expensive but has been quite effective in immune normal patients and even in immune abnormal patients for treating the infection.

Your first step is to see your board certified dermatologist who can make a determination about the proper effective treatment for your condition. 

Charles L Heaton, MD