Gum Diseases

Gum tear/broken vessel?

09/07/2005

Question:

hi, I was brushing my teeth and I think I may have torn a small piece of gum off just above my tooth. there is a small red area, directly above which is a semi-circular red/purplish area, directly above which is a vertical red/purplish line. did I break a blood vessel or bruise my gum? or is this something more serious? will it heal? how can I help it heal better? it has been two days since this has happend and it hasn`t healed yet? the area does not hurt and there is no puss nor does it appear to be swollen. any assistance to address this problem would be very much appreicated. thank you so much

Answer:

If it is caused by brush trauma, it should heal by itself within a 10 day period.  You can rinse with saline solution or warm water with salt in it (if you are not a patient with high blood pressure). It should help with healing. If it does not go away within 10 days, you should visit a dentist.  There are specific types of skin/mucosal diseases that may cause this type of wound. It needs to be checked if it continues more than 10 days. And if you are a smoker, smoking fewer cigarettes will help with the healing rate.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology