Pregnancy

Fundal Height

10/05/2005

Question:

I am currently 30 weeks pregnant and when I went to the doctor yesterday, my belly measurement was 34 cm. When I went to the doctor at 27 weeks, my belly measurement was 28 cm. It jumped 6 cm in 3 weeks. What could be going on with me? Could I have been wrong about my due date or could it be that I could have twins? When I had my ultrasound at 20 weeks they only showed me one baby. Can you help me understand?

Answer:

Fundal height in centimeters is usually 2 cm within the gestational age in weeks (after 24 weeks of pregnancy). In a case where the fundal height is greater than expected, the possible reasons are an incorrect due date, twins, excess amniotic fluid (polyhydramnios), a large fetus or normal variation between examiners. Your 20 week ultrasound established your due date and ruled out twins. The remaining possibilities can be evaluated with another ultrasound.

Go to the Pregnancy health topic, where you can:

Arthur T Ollendorff, MD Arthur T Ollendorff, MD
Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology