HIV and AIDS

Should My Son Be Tested For HIV?

10/27/2005

Question:

Hello. Yesterday my son was attacked at school by a girl who we have just learned might be HIV posistive, if not full blown AIDS. She hit him several times and eventually cut his ear and he was taken to the nurse`s office in his school where the cut was cleaned and an antiseptic lotion was applied to the cut. We`ve tried to speak with someone from the school to ask them if he should be tested, but they haven`t responded to any of the messages we`ve left. We don`t know if she had any cuts on her hands so we are wondering if we should have him tested and how soon. Thank you for your time and attention.

Answer:

It sounds like you are having difficulty getting the information you need to decide whether or not your child should be tested for HIV infection. I suggest that you talk with your child's pediatrician about your concerns.

Go to the HIV and AIDS health topic, where you can:

Lisa A Haglund, MD Lisa A Haglund, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine