New medication

1) How is the new medication that is out different from Ditropan and Detrol? I have mixed incontinence and have found Ditropan XL, which I currently use, much better than Detrol. Up to a couple yrs ago I was under the care of a urogynocologist, under whose guidance I have tried most treatments. Each have helped some significantly, but the problems still exists and for which I wear pads. I have had a urodynamic study, physical therapy with biofeedback and electrical stimulation, collegen injections, and am not a candidate for surgery because of the mixed causes. 2) Would Lexapro (escitalopram oxalate), a selective serotonin reuptake inhihibitor (SSRI) help. I saw on your website that tricyclic antidepressents sometimes help.

Many of these medications work in a similar manner and they differ in degree of side effects.  I have noticed that some work better then another but am not sure why.  A trial with Lexapro is reasonable and worth trying for there has been some success with these types of agents.

I hope these thoughts are helpful to you.

Go to the Incontinence health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology