MASTOID AIR CELL INFLAMMATION

10/27/2005

Question:

I have been having severe headaches for 2 months. I had an MRI done and have a copy of the findings. Does this have something to do with the ear or hearing? "The T2-weighted sequences demonstrates some mild mastoid air cell inflammation, left greater than right which could certainly give you a headache or create some vestibular dysfunction."

Answer:

Diseases of the mastoid can cause problems with hearing, balance, and headaches.  However, unfortunately, the MRI is not always the best way to examine the mastoid.  Sometimes, a CT is more appropriate / helpful.  In addition, a hearing test (audiogram) and clinical examination by an otologist is also necessary to further define the problem.

Hope this helps.

Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Skull Base Surgery Fellowship, Director of Adults Cochlear Implantation Program