I have been having severe headaches for 2 months. I had an MRI done and have a copy of the findings. Does this have something to do with the ear or hearing? "The T2-weighted sequences demonstrates some mild mastoid air cell inflammation, left greater than right which could certainly give you a headache or create some vestibular dysfunction."

Diseases of the mastoid can cause problems with hearing, balance, and headaches.  However, unfortunately, the MRI is not always the best way to examine the mastoid.  Sometimes, a CT is more appropriate / helpful.  In addition, a hearing test (audiogram) and clinical examination by an otologist is also necessary to further define the problem.

Hope this helps.

Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Skull Base Surgery Fellowship, Director of Adults Cochlear Implantation Program