Braces

Small teeth so no braces?

10/24/2005

Question:

I have had braces for 10 months. My orthodontist just told me that we are closing my two front teeth gap (reason why I got braces), but because of small teeth (something that we joked about when I first went for my evaluation), that I will have 2 gaps (now between my top canines and adjacent teeth). He says that treatment has been about a year now so is close to done, and that to close the 2 new gaps that I need to get bonding. I am frustrated that this was never mentioned before (bonding was an option instead of braces)! Have you have ever heard of an almost finish orthodontic treatment discontinued due to “small teeth”???

Answer:

Certainly. It is not uncommon to have one or both right and left upper laterals smaller than normal size. The orthodontist is properly closing the space that occurred in between your two central incisors. He also wants to have the third tooth over on each side in the right relationship to the lower cuspid or "eye tooth." So in order to have proper esthetics of the two laterals and a nice smile, it is important to bond or crown the lateral incisors. I'm sure if you have this done you will be pleased with the appearance and results.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry