Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Financial Assistance or Grants for Braces



I have 4 children (ages 7-15) who all need braces. I can`t afford it and my insurance has no coverage. Is there any type of grant or assistance that I can apply for to help pay for this?


The question you ask is often asked.  Since you do not say where you live, I can only offer a few suggestions.

If you live near Columbus, Ohio (Franklin County) you could take the children to Ohio State University College of Dentistry. There will still be a charge, but it is about 30% lower than the private sector.  Also, if you are a case worker, there is a program called Care Source that has in the past offered help. This would be a social service probably under Medicaid.  Some service clubs, such as Rotary International, have from time to time offered assistance.  You might contact your local Rotary Club to see what they say. Unfortunately, most employers offer limited dental insurance. If you have dental insurance, check to see if there is an orthodontic benefit which pays about $1000.00 toward treatment.

For more information:

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry
College of Dentistry
The Ohio State University