Gum Diseases

Bad Breath & Bleeding gums

11/14/2005

Question:

i don`t know how to ask this, i`ll just enumerate my problems regarding my gums and bad breath. 1. Even if I brush my teeth and use mouthwash 3 times a day, I still have a bad breath after around 20 mins. 2. My gum bleeds while I`m sleeping, or anytime of the day. Eversince I was small, this is my problem. Information regarding my teeth: 1. I have a false front teeth (crown). But even my gum with original teeth, bleeds also. 2. Before, I wore teeth braces. 3. My lower teeth and gums are ok. 4. My gum bleeds especially during my menstrual period. 5. According to my dentist, i don`t have gingivitis. 6. Since I have a bad breath, I usually chew or take breath freshener tablet - Clorets (5 or more a day). Is it ok? I hope you could help me in my problem. I have been very ashamed. I`m a sales woman and this problem makes me really insecure about myself.

Answer:

It sounds like you have a severe type of active inflammation going on in your mouth. Especially, you are giving a story of bleeding gums during sleep. It is is very hard for me to figure out the severity by just reading your e-mail.  However, it does not sound like regular gingivitis case. Please visit a periodontist instead of a dentist. Your dentist may help by referring you to one. Or you can go to American Academy of Periodontology website. (See link below.) They have a specific site for patient information and directory for periodontists at different states, regions.

A periodontist needs to complete a full mouth comprehensive periodontal examination including radiographs. He/she will also evaluate your restorations and figure out whether they are OK to keep in the mouth. Sometimes gingivitis/ periodontitis is a sign of systemic health problems such as digestive problems. Depending on what they see in your mouth, they may even prefer to refer you to a physician.  I recommend you see a periodontist as soon as possible.

American Academy of Periodontology

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology