Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Treating A Fractured Root

11/22/2005

Question:

I had a loose crown which the dentist removed today because he said it needed to be checked out. Unfortunately when the crown came off so did my tooth and the root canal post. He wanted to send me to the oral surgeon right away to remove the whole tooth but he wasn't in the office today. Since Thanksgiving is a few days away the dentist cemented the tooth and crown back in place but said to make an appointment with oral surgeon to have tooth and root extracted next week. My question is what would be the harm in leaving the cemented tooth in place over time and would the fractured root pose a problem? Also, if the loose crown was left alone as it was would the fractured root have caused a problem, if so how and when? Thanks in advance for your response.

Answer:

I am confident that you will be okay over Thanksgiving; however, it is best to have the fractured tooth removed in the near future to prevent future infection and a bad taste as oral fluids may travel into the crack.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry