Itching around the genitals

12/28/2005

Question:

Hi Dr., I`m African, in my late 20`s, do a variety of sports (karate, soccer, biking, tennis) at least twice a week. I sweat very easily and do sweat often around the genitals. I`ve been experiencing some itching on the right side of my testicles, specifically where the testicles touches the inner right thigh. I experience none of this on the left side. I also have some uncomfortable scaling and itching at the area between the testicles and the anus. I`ve just read about jock itching, but I`m not sure if this is exactly it. The itching I experience is sometimes more and sometimes very minimal, depending on season. I do like to wear boxer briefs... and I`ve noticed that the tighter ones cause more sweating and more itching subsequently. I shower every morning and most evenings, especially on days I do sports. I`m not a big fan of boxers, but I feel more comfortable when I wear those due to the soothing "freedom" my genitals get, especially from the feeling of the airy coolness. What do you think these signs could be?

Answer:

The itching that you are experiencing could be from a variety of causes, some minor and some more serious.  Without seeing your problem in person it is difficult to make a diagnosis in this specific case.  My recommendation is for you to see your physician or a dermatologist as soon as possible.  Waiting could result in potential complications. 

Janine D Miller, MD Janine D Miller, MD
Formerly

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center