Itching around the genitals

Hi Dr., I`m African, in my late 20`s, do a variety of sports (karate, soccer, biking, tennis) at least twice a week. I sweat very easily and do sweat often around the genitals. I`ve been experiencing some itching on the right side of my testicles, specifically where the testicles touches the inner right thigh. I experience none of this on the left side. I also have some uncomfortable scaling and itching at the area between the testicles and the anus. I`ve just read about jock itching, but I`m not sure if this is exactly it. The itching I experience is sometimes more and sometimes very minimal, depending on season. I do like to wear boxer briefs... and I`ve noticed that the tighter ones cause more sweating and more itching subsequently. I shower every morning and most evenings, especially on days I do sports. I`m not a big fan of boxers, but I feel more comfortable when I wear those due to the soothing "freedom" my genitals get, especially from the feeling of the airy coolness. What do you think these signs could be?

The itching that you are experiencing could be from a variety of causes, some minor and some more serious.  Without seeing your problem in person it is difficult to make a diagnosis in this specific case.  My recommendation is for you to see your physician or a dermatologist as soon as possible.  Waiting could result in potential complications. 

Janine D Miller, MD Janine D Miller, MD

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center