Breast Feeding

Baby crying while feeding

01/18/2006

Question:

Hello, I have a 3month old. He gets fussy at almost every feed. I breast fed him for 2 months and while breasfeeding since I didnot have enough milk I supplemented with formula. I used Enfamil Lipil with Iron. Now I weaned it and he is 100% on Enfamil formula. He cries and becomes fussy while drinking milk. During every feed I put him to sleep and then only I can feed him. He used to pass gas very often when he was born. Even now he passes gas but not as often as he used to when he was 1 month old. He also developed some rash in his neck and under his arms. His pediatrician said that it is yeast infection. I wonder sometimes if he is lactose intolerent. But I don`t want him to have lactose free formula. First of all is he lactose intolerent? He is gaining weight just fine. He is 31/2 months now and he weighs 14 1/2 pounds. He is gaining weight just fine. About 2 pounds every month. Please advice. Thanks in advance for your help.

Answer:

To have these symptoms properly evaluated, you will need to see your child's health professional.  Keep a log for at least 24 hours of feeding pattern (time amount and type of feeding) , time and number of bowel movements, and times of sleep.  If he has fussy periods note those and how you were able to comfort him during that time.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing