Infectious Diseases

Herpes question

02/18/2006

Question:

I had sexual contact with a commercial sex worker approximately 20 days ago. The contact included unprotected oral (giving and receiving) then protected (with condom) vaginal intercourse. A week later I experienced a burning in the tip of my penis, although tests for Gon, Chlam, and syph all came back negative. Since then, 17 days after the possible exposure I have pain around my anus. Just outside my anus, towards my scrotum is a small bump, it doesn`t appear to be a blister but an uncomfortable bump. I can feel it when I sit and when I squeeze my buttocks. Also the anus area appears to be very red and sore to the touch. I have had different bowel movements for about a week now as well, they are much looser and more odorous than normal. Could these be symtpoms of an initial outbreak of herpes?

Answer:

These could be symptoms related to an initial outbreak of herpes. You should certainly see a doctor with these symptoms and also get HIV tested.

Go to the Infectious Diseases health topic, where you can:

Pamposh   Kaul, MD Pamposh Kaul, MD