Bruise that hasn`t gone away

12/28/2005

Question:

My daughter has mentioned to me about a bruise that she has had for about 3 months which is located on the left side right below her bra area. She is 34 and has been a smoker since she was 20 or so. She has no insurance so I am concerned that she might over look the importance because of that. I am of course concerned for her. What advise might you have for me?

Answer:

It is most unusual for any bruise to last three months without change in resolution.  For that reason I urge your daughter to see a qualified dermatologist as soon as possible!

In many communities there are taxpayer funds that will help her be seen by qualified physicians.  Most states have Medicaid support for individuals without proper insurance.  Please contact your local social service organization; but above all have your daughter seen as soon as possible since this is a most unusual finding.

Charles L Heaton, MD