High Blood Pressure

Can high blood pressure cause veins to burst

12/28/2005

Question:

High blood pressure runs on my husband`s father`s side of the family. I do not know if my husband has high blood pressure as we haven`t seen a doctor for a long time. He is 37 years old. Recently a vein? in my husbands cheek burst and bled quite a bit. It has happened twice now. Is it indicative of high blood pressure or a vascular problem? I am very concerned as my husband`s father died suddenly a couple of years ago due to his aorta rupturing in his neck whilst exercising at home.

Answer:

High blood pressure affects the arteries and not the veins.  Therefore, your husband's problem is probably not related to high blood pressure.

However, everybody should have his or her blood pressure checked at least once a year.  Given that your husband has a family history of aortic rupture, his risk of developing high blood pressure is higher, and he should definitely be checked as soon a practical.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Director of Hypertension Section