Skin disease name Von Recklinghuesen`s diseas

i would like 2 ask about a kind of skin desease which i got the name call `von reckling hausen`s disease.it happen 2 my boyfriend`s mother. it looks like bubble growing on the skin. it stay permenantly on the skin n when u tourch it, it feel like normal skin. it`s painless n it`s all over her body wen she give birth of her last(4th child).

recently i found out that my boyfriend`s younger sister(4th- 18 years old)n brother(3rd child-21 years old) starting 2 have that symptom. althought my boyfriend n his elder brother don`t have any symptoms but im still afraid whether this desease will bring to my children by his gen. pls help me. thanks.

Von Recklinghausen's disease is Neurofibromatosis type 1.  The skin growths are neurofibromas.  This disease is genetically transmitted in an autosomal dominant pattern.  However, in about 30-50% of cases we see, there may not even be a family history of the disease, indicating that it could also be a result of spontaneous mutations.  The expression of the gene is variable such that one affected family member may have just a few skin growths while another member may have a much more severe clinical presentation.

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center