Gum Diseases

gum diseases

01/02/2006

Question:

i have a concern due to my gums .there was a blister on my gum a few days ago n now it has grown like a little peace of string on the side of my gum. the thing is it dont hurt but am woried that it may be a dead nerve growing out of ma gum. At first the blister on the gum was just a kind of ball shape n now , well tiz like a peace of string hanging from ma gum tiz a blood red colour.

Answer:

It sounds like you are developing an abscess. It can be a periodontal (originated from your gums), endodontic (originated from an infected nerve) abscess or both.  In any case you need to see a dentist.

Depending on the origin, deep cleaning around your tooth may be enough to solve the problem. But if it is originated from a nerve, you will need root canal treatment. Your dentist has to take an X-ray and possibly check whether the tooth is vital (whether the nerve inside the tooth is still healthy).  He/she will also probe around the tooth to determine the amount of bone loss.

It is very hard for me to give you more information without any clinical documentation.  I recommend you to see a dentist before the problem gets worsen. The abscess may cause further bone loss, and you may have all your face swollen.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology