Thick saliva

01/18/2006

Question:

I recently started coughing and spitting up thick saliva and I am constanting clearing my throat. This is so uncomfortable and embarrassing. When I awake in the morning my throat is so dry, then I drink 8ozs of water to moisten my throat. Afterwards the spitting begins again. If I try to prevent spitting so, sometimes my nose run as if I have a cold. And my voice sounds horribly.Throughout the day I drink approximately 40ozs of water as I love ice water. What must I do to gid rid of thick spit.

Answer:

A sensation of thick saliva can come from many sources.  Commonly this may be due to acid reflux disease.  One can experience thick saliva with coughing and spitting up secondary to acid reflux without feeling heart burn.  Another source could be the sinuses secondary to infection or allergies.  An evaluation from an ear nose and throat doctor is advised.

Lee   Zimmer, MD Lee Zimmer, MD
Assistant Professor or Otolaryngology, Director of Endoscopic Cranial Base Center