Obesity and Weight Management

Losing Weight

02/09/2006

Question:

Right now I`m seventeen and in 2004 i became pregnant and had a miscarriage. I still have the baby wieght though. Right now i work in fast food and usually eat twice a day but one of those includes my employee meal. I`m approximately 5`4 and wiegh 180. I have been trying to lose the baby wieght and although i did lose some my skin is sagging and the rest of the wieght won`t go away. I`m not exactly sure how i should go about losing the weight since i`m fairly time constricted and with only a little money. Do you have any helpful advice?

Answer:

Thank you for writing. Losing weight is not something that can be done without commitment to changing lifestyle habits. There are many "diets" advertised that promise results, but many people find they only see results while they strictly follow the plan. The key to weight loss is making changes that fit your life and you can maintain forever. There is no substitute for portion control, choosing lower-fat foods, increasing fruits/vegetables, and of course being active.

I would encourage you to visit ChooseMyPlate.gov to get started. There you'll find a lot of useful information regarding calorie ranges, portion sizes, and suggested activity levels. You can even individualize this information and use the interactive food/exercise logs to track your progress. If you find that you need additional help in getting started, I would encourage you to check with you doctor, who may be able to refer you to local reputable weight loss programs.

To Good Health!

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Angela Blackstone, RD, LD
Staff Dietitian
Center for Wellness and Prevention
Clinical Instructor
School of Allied Medical Professionals