What is Lamb's disease???

12/01/1998

Question:

I am seeking information on "Lamb's Disease", I have never heard of this and a family member was "diagnosed" with this "disease". She was being tested for a lung transplant and did not pass the test. One of the reasons was this diagnosis...can you help me to identify this information?? I would greatly appreciate any information that you could "dig up" on this matter!!!! thankyou!!

Answer:

I believe you are referring to LAMS, or lymphangioleiomyomatosis. LAMS is a rare lung disease that primarily affects young women. The University of Cincinnati's Dr. Francis McCormack is the Medical Director for the LAM Foundation, a national non-profit organization that is devoted to supporting patients and finding a cure for this disease. The LAM Foundation has an excellent website that is full of information on LAMS; see the link below.

The LAM Foundation

Stuart Green, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine and Pathobiology