Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Should I Go See An HPV Specialist?



I have HPV and the doctor said I need to go see a specialist or something. He also said it is not anything to lose sleep over. I am pretty sure I have had it for the last two years. How important is it that I go see another doctor? If I am still with the same guy that I think gave it to me.


Human Papilloma Virus is an infection which causes genital warts, as well as cervical cancer and anal cancer.  It is spread sexually.  It appears from what you say (you were referred to a specialist) that your physician thinks something needs to be done about your HPV. The two things that could be accomplished by certain specialists are screening for the possibility of cancer, and treatments (medications, surgeries) to control the growth of warts. 

For more information:

Go to the HIV and AIDS health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Peter Grubbs, MD
Assistant Professor
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati