Allergies

Allergy to medication "SERC"

01/30/2006

Question:

4 days after taking SERC (BETAHISTINE) a prohistamine medication for diziness, symptoms of unbearable headache/pressure in the head developed. Gradually, swelling over the entire body from feet to head/eyes in the next few weeks. Photosensitive developed with painful rashes when exposed to the sun. Sweeling has continued from top to bottom for 5 months since the end of August. (69 year old male with no health problems, 114/50, no medications, nonsmoker, no alcohol drinking, no healthy history). Doctor`s opinions: CHRONIC ANASARCA DUE TO ANAPHYLACTIC REACTION What good advice is available?

Answer:

I can't find anything that supports this hypothesis.  If anything, in animal models, betahistine blocks mast cell activation and release of histamine.  Headaches are a side effect of betahistine.  The use of betahistine to treat dizziness, vertigo and Meniere's is very controversial and most studies show none or only a marginal effect.  You may have developed angioedema.  Photodermatitis could represent a physical hive.  I would see an allergist in your area who is experienced in the treatment of urticaria/angioedema (soft tissue swelling) who could evaluate and treat this condition.  Go to www.aaaai.org or www.acaai.org to find an allergist in your area.  

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

Jonathan   Bernstein, MD Jonathan Bernstein, MD