Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Absence of erections in three-year-old

03/01/2006

Question:

My son will be three years old in about a week, and I have never noticed him having an erection. My friends who have young sons talk about their having erections when they wake up in the morning, or in the bath, etc. My son was circumcized at one-month-old during surgery for inguinial hernia repair. I was never happy with the results of the circumcision since his foreskin has completely reattached and now you can`t even tell he was ever circumcized. I don`t want to have the circumcision performed again--since there doesn`t seem to be "scarring" I`m presuming it will be OK. However, I am very concerned with the fact that he has apparently never had an erection and am wondering if this is related to the circumcision issues. His penis enlarges very slightly when he needs to urinate, but barely noticeably, and nothing like what mothers of other toddler boys describe. Is there anything that can be tested for at this early age??

Answer:

Some little boys will have erections all the time and others will never seem to have them. This is normal and no testing can and should be done for these boys.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Rama   Jayanthi, MD Rama Jayanthi, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Urology