Lime poisoning?

02/16/2006

Question:

My son put down a tile floor in his bathroom including wet-cutting the ceramic tile with the wet cutting machine. He did not use gloves. By the time he was finished his hands were swollen and difficult to bend. That was over 8 months ago. He still has trouble bending his hands which mimics arthritis. Dr. see no signs in blood tests of arthritis. What is treatment of this problem. Is there a medicial name for it so he can get help.

Answer:

Your son's condition suggests an irritant or allergic contact dermatitis.  For this to have lasted eight months, I would suggest that he is continuing to expose himself, at least inadvertently, to some material that is producing an immune response. 

With this kind of history I would suggest that he see a board certified dermatologist who specializes in industrial cutaneous medicine.  Such individuals can be found in a number of major institutions such as the Cleveland Clinic and Group Health Associates in Cincinnati; but I am sure your medical center will have someone that can do that. 

If you do not have someone who is a sub-specialist, I would urge you to see a board certified dermatologist who would obtain a careful history, do patch testing if indicated, and begin to work with your son.  I am concerned that he has not been bending his hands consistently and may already have decreased range of motion.  Please see your board certified dermatologist at your earliest convenience.

Charles L Heaton, MD