Gynecology

PCOS constant heavy bleeding for 3 months

02/16/2006

Question:

Hello, I am hoping you can help me. I have PCOS and rarely get periods, sometimes one a year. I am 30 years old, no children and have a partner. Icannot have the pill as I react with it. For the last 12 months I have been bleeding almost every day, sometimes it is so heavy and lasts for 2-3 months long, it is made worse if I lift something heavy or exercise. I have been checked for infections which was negative, but I am a little concerned as I have not been checked by a gynacologist for over 5 years. I live in England and doctors do not seem to know much about PCOS, can you offer any advice to me. Many Thanks

Answer:

With PCOS the ovary doesn't ovulate monthly. During ovulation, the hormone progesterone causes the lining to stop growing, and then shed when the progesterone stops being made 2 weeks later. With PCOS the lining doesn't stop growing, and can get abnormally thick. It bleeds when the lining starts to breakdown. When this occurs, the bleeding is unpredictable and can be prolonged. It usually takes a combination of estrogen and progesterone to stop the bleeding, followed by monthly progesterone to cause a monthly controlled bleed. You should definitely seek medical attention, because there are other causes that need to be ruled out before treatment.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education