Seeking Help for PTSD

02/16/2006

Question:

Well...Ill start with my history. I was raised in a abusive home, my dad was a alcholic and growing up was hard. I was also abused sexualy by my cousin from as young as I can remember to about the age of 12. I always wanted to be with my parents as a child and never away, I wouldnt stay the night anywhere and had a tough time going to school...Just the fear of being away from them..I can remember it today in kindergarden. In high school it got worse and I would make myself sick just not to go to school and stay home inside. I remember being 16 and crying on the way to school I was just so,I dont know how to explain it,fear I guess. How ashamed I felt also being 16 and crying over something like that. One forth of July when I was around 12 something happend that I will never forget.My uncle poured gas on himself and set himself on fire it was awful you could smell his flesh melting. He barely survived and days after his release from the hospital he took me and my two cousins and dad hostage with a knife. These two events have given me nightmares for years. My Dad's side of the family, everyone on his side has some sort of mental disorder, some worse than others. My dad can not read and write and I am thank full that I can. He draws a disablity check for it and more problems, but most doctors are scared of him he was a very mean person. I am 23 now and do not leave the house much. I wont even check the mail or take out the trash. I have no friends left, they don't come around anymore. I tried hard to hide the way I felt in school and had some friends but when I got older in high school it became harder to hide and I quit and then lost the friends I had. I tried to work for awhile but the stress was horrible. I would even worry in my sleep and wake in the morning with terrible heartburn and would throw up at least 3 to 4 days a week, same feeling like when I went to school I quit that job when the feelings became unbearable. I had a daughter during that time and it got even worse. I have been out of work for 4 years. My wife has been trying to support the family and she has told me a while back that she would leave me if I didnt get a job. It is so hard not being able to do this and the truth is deep down I just want to stay inside and not interact with the world. Who knows how long it will last anyway?I tried getting a disablitly check but was denied,they sent me to some kind of doctor he told me to see a shrink. Now I dont know what to do? Do you think there is something wrong with me should I get help and what should I do about my disablilty? I need help.

Answer:

To have these symptoms properly diagnosed, you will need to see a health professional. You may require a physical examination. Here is some background information that may be helpful when talking with your health care provider:

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder can occur after significant childhood and adult trauma, such as you describe.  Follow the links to the website for the national Center for PTSD for more information.

I think you have some signifcant emotional and mental illness, and would benefit greatly by seeing both a medical and psychiatric provider.

Good Luck.

National Center for PTSD