Breast Feeding

Cannot find info on this anywhere

03/23/2006

Question:

I`m a 26 year old welder.I`ve been doing this for 2 years and am on pregnancy leave. My question is would there be a problem when I go Back to work as far as contaminates entering the breast milk? And since I`v already been doing this do you think that my milk supply is contaminated even though it hasnt come in yet? (I`m an aluminum welder and am exposed to certain levels of radiation. I cant find info on how much I`m exposed to or side effects on breasfeeding moms)

Answer:

Your question pertains to two potential exposures: Aluminum and radiation. If you wear a mask while welding you are not likely ingesting any aluminum; nor is the aluminum being rendered air-born, therefore you, your fetus and breast tissues are not being contaminated. Presumably, if you are OSHA-compliant, your radiation exposure would also be minimal. Your own body tissues are what are of concern with any irradiation, but milk to be produced is not radioactive, therefore is safe for your baby.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM
Professor Emeritus, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology