High Blood Pressure

Grapefruit juice & drugs

03/13/2006

Question:

I used to enjoy grapefruit, but quit taking it when friends said it was dangerous with certain drugs. In the morning I take 75 mg Plavix, 40 mg Lisinopril, 5 mg Glipzide, 150 mg Metoprolol, 25 mg Triam/Herz, 150 mg Ranitidine, 1 low dose asperin (81) In the evening to bedtime I take 150 mg Ranitidine, 5 mg Glipizide, 150 mg Metoprolol, and 40 mg Zocor. Should I continue to avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice? Thank you for your advice.

Answer:

Grapefruit juice increases the absorption of several drugs by the digestive tract.  This can lead to high levels of the drug in the blood.  Drugs that are commonly affected are calcium channel blockers (Plendil, Procardia, Adalat, Sular or Verelan), antidepressants (BuSpar, Zoloft), and cholesterol-lowering drugs, such as Zocor, Lipitor and Vytorin.

None of the drugs that you are taking should be affected.  However, it is usually a good idea to consume grape juice at least two hours before or after taking medications.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Director of Hypertension Section