Sharp right neck pain

03/14/2006

Question:

I have been getting a sharp pain in the right side of my neck for six months. I usually feel this several times a day. It is about mid-neck and straight down from my right eye. I have had sinus drainage regularly for about 10 years and have hypothyroid, but am typically healthy and active. One doctor suggested an infection in my tonsil roots - my tonsils were removed years ago. I don`t think it is spasms. Any ideas?

Answer:

Neck pain can be from several sources.  Anatomical structures that can be effected include the throat and spine.  Sharp pain can be from disease in the spine of the neck.  It can also be from boney structures in the neck pressing on nerves.  A complete head and neck exam by an Ear Nose and throat doctor is warranted.  Furthermore, your primary care doctor may want you to see a Neurosurgeon to evaluate the spine in your neck.

Lee   Zimmer, MD Lee Zimmer, MD
Assistant Professor or Otolaryngology, Director of Endoscopic Cranial Base Center