Newborn and Infant Care

Baby gas and constipation problems.

03/17/2006

Question:

My baby is a week old, and has been having problems with gas and with not having bowel movements.

I can hold him and feel the gas bubbling in his sides. What can I do to relieve this? I have tried gas drops and they seem to only work part of the time.

Also is him not having bowel movements a sign of a problem. He is breastfed.

Answer:

Breastfed babies generally have a few more bowel movements during the first few weeks of life when they are exclusively breastfed. Is your baby nursing frequently and completely emptying your breast, having 6 or more wet diapers per day and gaining weight? If you answer yes to all of these it is generally not something to worry about. If you answer no to one of these questions you need to seek out your baby's healthcare provider.

The gas that you baby is experiencing is frequently due to your diet. Anything that you eat that causes you gas should be eliminated from your diet (some things include cabbage, beans, broccoli). It may take two weeks for it to be completely out of your system.

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing