Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Lexapro paxil query

03/13/2006

Question:

I am on lexapro 10 mg for anxiety and stress disorder. Doctor has advised to switch over to paroxetine for premature ejaculation to be taken in the night 2 hours before the act. My question is: Paroxetine 10 mg to be taken daily or only at the time of sex? Is long term use on daily basis is ok and whether Lexapro to be discontinued or to take concomitantly?

Answer:

Question 1: Paroxetine 10 mg to be taken daily or only at the time of sex?

Dr. Allen Seftel:

Most authorities prefer daily use, but some do feel that you can try Paxil 2-3 hours before sex. However, your case sounds like you need the drug daily for the anxiety disorder.

Question 2: Is long term use on daily basis is ok and whether Lexapro to be discontinued or to take concomitantly?

Dr. Stanley Althoff:

It is generally unwise to take two SSRI's or an SSRI (paxil) and SNRI (Lexapro) simultaneously, even if one were used on an as needed basis. The simplest solution is to either discontinue the Lexapro and start on Paxil for depression OR increase the Lexapro perhaps on the day on coitus to obtain an ejaculatory delay.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Allen D Seftel, MD Allen D Seftel, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology

Stanley E Althof, PhD Stanley E Althof, PhD
Professor of Urology