Itching and unpresence smell

03/20/2006

Question:

I washed my hair daily with mild medicated shampoo follow by ordinary shampoo and conditioner.After about few hour or right after washing I could feel itchiness and unpresence smell on my scalp.It itch untill it`s so unbearable.I dye my hair every 2 months or so. Please advise.

Thanks

Answer:

You are describing an irritant reaction to your shampoos and a chemical reaction in which material is released probably from your medicated shampoo.  Many of the medicated shampoos contain tar and these can be malodorous.  Unless you have a significant scalp disease, I would suggest that you use a baby shampoo or a very mild shampoo of your choice.  Use a rinse after your shampoo and you will probably have no further problem with the odor.  If you have no underlying scalp disease you should have no further problem. 

If, however, you begin to have redness of your scalp or scaling, I would suggest that you see your board certified dermatologist for a more accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.

Charles L Heaton, MD