Asthma

Treating Seasonal Asthma

04/25/2006

Question:

I am suffering from bronchial asthma which starts at the onset of winter season i.e. October to Novemeber and then disappears in Decemeber. During rest of the year, I am totally fine without any trace of the problem. The problem starts with sneezing and then difficulty in breathing followed by cough. This lasts for two months with up and downs getting worse in evening. However, I sleep well. Initially I control with Ventorlin inhaler but when it get worse I take Deriphylline SR 300 mg along with Ventorlin inhaler. During worse times I start Becoride inhaler 2 puffs three times a day. But still the problem remains but under control. I have to use Ventorlin inhaler 7-8 times a day. Is that safe? Am I following the right procedure? I must tell that I am overweight as well but during the periods when I am fine, I dont find any problem in carrying my weight even if I have to climb 5 floors.

Answer:

If you have to use ventolin 7-8 times a day and are waking up at night then your asthma is not well controlled.  You need to see an asthma specialist (allergist or pulmonologist) who can properly evaluate what is going on here.  There are other concomitant problems that can confound a diagnosis of asthma such as obesity, heartburn, allergies/sinusitis (i.e., post-nasal drip), heart problems... All of these other problems should be further evaluated to make sure that they aren't causing some of your respiratory problems.  An allergist can determine whether you are allergic to something in your home or work environment that could be triggering your symptoms during this time.  They can also obtain spirometry to confirm your diagnosis of asthma, determine its severity and what treatment would be most appropriate so you aren't suffering like this every year during this time. 

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

Jonathan   Bernstein, MD Jonathan Bernstein, MD