Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Fluid around right kidney

03/21/2006

Question:

My daughter is nineteen. She has had abdominal pain on and off for a week. Her doctor had an ultrasound done on Friday and they said she has fluid around her right kidney. She has been referred to a kidney specialists, but the appointment is a month away. Can you tell me a little about this and how serious this is?

Answer:

Fluid within the kidney is "hydronephrosis." It can be normal or it could be a sign of a partial obstruction within the kidney, namely "ureteropelvic junction obstruction." This obstruction can lead to pain similar to that of a kidney stone.

There are some x-ray studies that can be done to determine if there is a problem. If an obstruction is detected, surgery is very effective at curing the problem. The mere presence of fluid within the kidney does not mean that there is obstruction, as many people have fluid within the kidney but do not have a problem.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Rama   Jayanthi, MD Rama Jayanthi, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Urology