Pain in the Lower Right Side

03/30/2006

Question:

HI I HAVE SEVERE PAIN IN THE LOWER RIGHT SIDE. SOMETIMES IT WOULD BE IN MY BACK AS WELL. IT SOMETIMES HURTS WHEN I HAVE TO URINATE I CAN FEEL PRESSURE MOST OF THE TIME CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME SORT OF IDEA WHAT THIS MAY BE.

Answer:

I need a little more info in order to give you a specific answer: Is the right-sided pain there all the time? Is it worse if you drink a lot of liquids? Does it get better when you urinate? If so, there may be a blockage between your right kidney and bladder. Pain in the right lower side may also be from the colon or appendix. Does the pain improve when you move your bowels? Has there been any change in your bowel movements, color, size, frequency? Where is the pain when you urinate, and what kind of pain is it? If it is a burning pain at the urethra (right where the urine comes out), there may be a bladder infection. If it is a pain at the bottom of your abdomen (right at the base of your bladder) and you are a male, it may be an infection of the prostate gland.

These are just a few suggestions. Please feel free to write back with more detailed information. However, a good history and physical exam by your physician would be the best way to figure out what the problem is. If there is any suspicion of a bladder or prostate infection, a urinalysis and culture should be done, anyway. X-rays or an ultrasound exam may also be needed.

Mildred   Lam, MD Mildred Lam, MD