Hemophilia and Inherited Bleeding Disorders

CBC value question

07/26/2006

Question:

A recent CBC had one value outside of the normal range and I`m wondering what would cause that or if there should more concern about this. MCH was 33.8 and the "acceptable" range is 27 - 33

What might cause this? Is this cause for concern? Thank you.

Answer:

The MCH stands for mean corpuscular hemoglobin and represents the amount of hemoglobin present in each red blood cell. A normal range for test results is defined as a range that will include 95% of the population. The value of 33.8 that you encountered may well represent a 'normal' value for you. It is not regarded as significantly different than the normal range.

Situations in which this value can be normal yet associated with clinical disease are when specific types of anemia (low red blood cell count or hemoglobin level) are present. Examples of such anemias would include those associated with bone marrow failure, hemolytic anemia, chronic renal disease, leukemia and metastatic malignancies.  This lab finding by itself would not be able to diagnose any of these conditions.

I hope you found this information useful.

Go to the Hemophilia and Inherited Bleeding Disorders health topic, where you can:

Patricia M Carey, MD