Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Kidney dilation

04/12/2006

Question:

I am 21 weeks pregnant, at my 20 week ultrasound the doctor informed us of dilation in the kidneys of our son, and also noted that there were no other "markers" for down syndrome.what does all this mean, is it serious. I am scheduled for another ultrasound at 27 weeks. Please i am going crazy, give me any information possible.

Answer:

Children are often diagnosed as having kidney problems even before they are born these days. Dilation of the kidney simply means the collecting system, which collects the urine the kidney has made and brings it to the bladder, is bigger than normal. This can be normal, be a sign of reflux or of possible obstruction. The overwhelming majority of children with dilation detected before birth do not have significant problems and can lead normal lives. A small number may need surgery to correct problems that may be found. Studies will have to be done after the child is born to understand what exactly is the problem and more importantly to see if there is a problem. There is no association between dilation of the kidney and Down's syndrome.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Rama   Jayanthi, MD Rama Jayanthi, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Urology