Sweat and pimples

05/02/2006

Question:

Hi, i train at the gym about 3 times a week and my pimples started to increase the same time i started this routine. i was wondering whether sweat can be a cause of my pimples and wat can i do about it? my skin has become quite oily on my nose.

Answer:

Many people experience a mild miliaria which can be pustular under the stress of high temperature, severe physical exertion and the like.  These are often misdiagnosed as pimples.  With increased physical activity and a warm environment your normal sebum is more fluid giving the sense of oily skin.  I would suggest that you try to keep the environment a little cooler and shower after your work out at the gym.  If this does not relieve the problem I would urge you to see a board certified dermatologist who can accurately diagnose the kinds of pustules you are experiencing and treat them appropriately.

Charles L Heaton, MD