Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Skin Care and Diseases

Recurring boils (chronic furunculosis)



I am 28 yrs. old with recurring boils. The first time it happens was when I was only 10 or 11. I thought I am resistant with this kind of disease because I experienced it already, but I was wrong. I had 14+ boils on different parts of my body mostly on my knees, thigh and to the extreme extent to my scrotum for the past 2 months. When the 1st time it re-occurred on my knee I took self-medication, I took Cloxacillin 500mg twice a day for a period of 3-4 days. I stopped taking it when I saw that the wound is healing. After a week it re-occured for the 2nd time but with a vengeance, I had 1 boil on my pubic part and each on my both knees. This time I went to see a doctor, he instructed me to take amoxicillin 500mg thrice a day for 7 days and advised me to use germicidal soap when bathing. I thought my problem will going to be solve but after a few days I`ve noticed that I got 1 more on my scrotum and 1 on my thigh. I still took the medication and patiently waited until the wound heals. Guess what, after a week the boils recurred for the 3rd time 1 on my scrotum and 1 on behind my thigh. I went again to another doctor and told my experiences. He prescribed me to take Clindamycin 300mg (CLINDAL) thrice a day for 2 weeks and use germicidal soaps. I also went laboratory-testing, urinalysis, CBC and FBS to find out if there is other problem that hamper my healing but to my amaze all the test are normal. The healing process went smoothly after 5-6 days, but after 8 days I stopped taking drug because I felt pain in my esophagus maybe an ulcer cause by the side effects of the drug. By this time the wounds are already healed. The problem is not over because after a week the boil re-occurred for the 4th time, 1 on my scrotum and 1 on my thigh. I am depressed don’t know what to do? Am I going to take medication or wait until the wounds will self-heal? Do I need to see a doctor? What doctor do I need to see? How to treat this kind of problem? Are the bacteria resistant with the antibiotics that I took? Is Urinalysis, CBC and FBS is sufficient if to find out if there’s other problem that hampering the healing process? Please do help!!!!!


The problem of chronic furunculosis is one that needs the attention of an expert in infectious disease.  Many of these lesions contain penicillin-resistant Staph aureus and you may find that your sinuses have become populated with organisms that are difficult to treat.  The infectious disease specialist or an internist with special training in infectious diseases will review your entire immune system/infectious organism in helping you find a solution to your problem.

For more information:

Go to the Skin Care and Diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Charles L Heaton, MD
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati