Could I have a bruised kidney?

04/17/2006

Question:

I had a fall and hurt my back area,[mainly the right butt area]. Called my Dr. but he was on vacation, so nurse suggested I come in for urine check as I had had a kidney infection 3 weeks ago. Test came back negative, so no infection. Kidney area hurts at times. How long will it take to heal, and what can I do to help it.

Thank you in advance!

Answer:

I rather doubt you have a bruised kidney as the trauma would have had to be very significant and a fall would not likely do this unless you had a high speed impact or fell off a ladder. Even if your kidney is bruised, a negative urine analysis would not eliminate the possibility of a bruised kidney. You would need to have an imaging study of your kidney to detect a bruise (like a CT scan or an ultrasound). I am not suggesting you do this because even if there is a bruise to the kidney (and I doubt there is) there would be no special intervention if pain was the only problem. More likely it is a bruise to the musculo-skeletal tissues in the flank. It could take several weeks to heal. If the pain is not diminishing but persists or worsens then have your doctor check it out.

Thomas   Zipp, MD Thomas Zipp, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine