Smoking and Tobacco

Smoking and tobacco

Do Nicotine detox products work? If not is there a quicker way to detox your body of nicotine, like drink lots of water and /or Cranberry Juice? Other than Smoking is there anything I should stay away from while detoxing myself? I quit smoking 10 times for about 2 weeks each and its not working I keep going back and I want other alternatives and have tried most of the recommended advice but it hasn`t worked.

The best success is a combination of self help and medications. I recommend the book Quit and Stay Quit by Dr. Terry Rustin, which can be bought at any bookstore.  I recommend Wellbutrin or Zyban (same med) to lower cravings and prevent depression which often occurs since nicotine is a stimulant drug and therefore an antidepressant (addicting one).  You use the Wellbutrin for 4 to 6 weeks and then continue it for a year. 

When you are ready to pick a quit date, I recommend using Nicotine Patches daily as baseline medication based on how many packs you smoke a day.

I also recommend the Lozenge or Gum to control more severe cravings.

To address your question about Nicotine detox products, these approaches have not been well-studied.  I would recommend evidence-based approaches from the US Public Health Service (PHS) guideline:

1) pharmacotherapy which includes bupropion or NRT, or combination therapy;

2) intratreatment social support from a health care provider; and

3) extra treatment support from family and friends.

Intensive treatment (smoking cessation treatment from a specialist) is also recommended for those who have failed multiple times.

Good Luck!

Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality)

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Edna M Jones, MD, MRO Edna M Jones, MD, MRO
Emeritus Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine

Mary Ellen Wewers, PhD, MPH Mary Ellen Wewers, PhD, MPH
Professor of Health Behaviors & Health Promotion
College of Public Health