Lumps under tongue

04/18/2006

Question:

I found some small, hard lumps underneath me tongue at the front of my mouth just behind my bottom from teeth. The most visible one is about the size of a pinhead and looks semi-clear. I recently became sexually intimate for the first time with my partner, could this be an orally transmitted STD?

Answer:

Without being able to see these lumps, I will venture that what you have found are structures that are normal to this area of the mouth. Two major salivary or spit glands, called the sublingual (which means under the tongue) glands are located in the floor of the mouth just behind the lower front teeth. These glands lie on either side of the skin fold (frenum) that joins to the undersurface of the tongue. The sublingual glands have several small connections (ducts) to the surface that allow saliva to keep the mouth moist. These are about the size of a pinhead and have a central clear area that represents where the saliva comes out.  If you look carefully, these little lumps will line up to form a V on the floor of the mouth.

What you describe does not sound like an STD. But if you are concerned, or if the lumps get bigger, then I would advise you to have the area examined by a dentist or dental specialist to help you with a diagnosis and treatment if needed.

Good luck!

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology