Stroke

Question

04/18/2006

Question:

I had Under gone a MRI scan . The T2 TIRM screening of the Brain revealed the presence of lacunar infarction across the left frontal subcortical regions .Two three months preceeding the report I had an acute pain which lasted for 12 to 13 hours and then subsided.The Sella turcica appears normal.No abonormality noted in Microadenomas ,Internal carotid Arteries,the Circle of Willis,OPtic chiasmaand the Hypothalamic regions. What could implications of this. What precautions tobe taken .Does the life expectancy decrease.

Answer:

A "lacunar infarct" as described on an MRI report does not mean that you have had a stroke.  To me, a stroke is a clinical event that involves sudden onset of weakness or numbness on one side of the body, or facial weakness with slurred speech, or vision loss, or other language problems.  From the information you provided, it does not sound as if this has happened to you.

If not, then the finding on the MRI scan is similar to "periventricular white matter changes" on an MRI.  I have written extensively about the significance/implications of such white matter changes in previously answered questions, and would direct you to these for more information.  In short, you should work with your doctor to identify and treat stroke (and heart attack) risk factors such as high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, obesity, sedentary lifestyle, smoking, etc.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Assistant Professor of Neurology
Director, Neurology Residency Program