Breast Feeding

Extra breast tissue - Complications in feedin

08/24/2006

Question:

Please let me know what to expect (having already been diagnosed with extra breast tissue which has been inflamed during my pregnancy) in relation to breastfeeding. I would like to breastfeed but understand that there may be some complications involved as a result of blockages and engorgement in the area. My surgeon told me to contact him 6months after the birth but that doesn`t ease my initial concerns as to what to do under the circumstances. I am currently ending week 36. Thanking you in advance for your advice.

Answer:

Hello! Extra breast tissue is a relatively common finding. The best way to deal with it in pregnancy and lactation is to apply cold compresses such as crushed ice packs, on those areas only, a few times per day, starting now. No heat or massage is indicated, since this would cause or encourage milk production, and result in more pain and inflammation.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM
Professor Emeritus, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology