Disgusting taste in mouth

05/01/2006

Question:

Hi there, I`m 42 yrs old... and not pregnant! I had an abcess on my tooth which was very painful. It eventually led to me having the tooth removed. My dentist had problems getting the tooth out, but after several tries it came loose. I ended up with a dry socket, which he packed. This was four wks ago. The pain has gone...still a bit tender, but after antibiotics etc it cleared up. The `wound` is still visible, although it does appear to be slowy closing...BUT...I have this absolutly foul taste in my mouth now. Quite bitter...but almost sweet too...if I drink or eat the taste goes away or is at least `masked` but as soon as I stop, the taste is back with avengance. It is centered around where I had my tooth out and my tongue still feels weird to touch the spot of removal beacuse of the taste. It`d vile...makes me feel quite sick! It appears to be getting worse. If I chew on that side of my mouth I get a very sharp pain when my teeth meet...I`m ok on the other side and so tend to chew there. I brush twice a day at least...more so now with this taste! It`s disgusting...Please help!

Thank You for your time

Answer:

It sounds to me as if there is still some infection in the area where the tooth was removed.

It is common for the dry socket to be packed with a ribbon of gauze soaked in a solution. If this packing has not been removed, it could be the source of the taste and odor. Visit the dentist and have it reevaluated.

It is also possible for the hole in the treated dry socket to develop infection if not kept clean. You need to visit the dentist who removed the tooth and have the area evaluated. It could be that a little irrigation could fix the problem.

Robert G Rashid, DDS, MAS Robert G Rashid, DDS, MAS
Clinical Professor of Restorative and Prosthetic Dentistry

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry